Monday, April 26, 2010

Women to Women

On Wednesday nights more than 100 women have been meeting at Trinity to get a deeper look into the life of Queen Esther. Author and motivational speaker Beth Moore leads us through what seems to be a weekly cinematic discovery into the culture and drama that unfolds in this amazing story.

I have found myself feeling like a CSI investigator trying to study this book — and so far it has been a lot of fun! Throughout the story we are presented with scenes that contain hints of circumstances and attitudes of the key characters.

While we all have agreed that we would like to be more like Esther, it has been interesting to learn lessons from the “villains” in this story. King Xerxes was a self-righteous, arrogant leader, who ran his kingdom trying to impress and please the people. His actions and decisions lacked sufficient boundaries, restraint and guidance of any sort. He seems to approach life with a “What’s in it for me?” type of attitude.

As a single woman striving to support myself and make tough decisions in life, it is challenging for me to pull out of the “what’s in it for me” mindset. After all, who else is going to look out for me but me ... right??? Wrong. That is the perception the devil would like me to have but the truth is we are never alone. God’s word says, “Behold, I am with you always” and “Come unto me all you who are weak and heavy laden and I will give you rest” and “Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, leaning not in our own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your path.”

Independent thinking apart from seeking God’s face and will can be dangerous stuff. One need not look any further than King Xerxes for evidence of this mindset.

Sheryl Patry

1 comment:

  1. Sheryl! First I want to say it's so great to know you're alive and well. Second, I really enjoyed your blog. As a newlywed and step mother to 3 young children, I have to trust the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding! He must direct my path and guide me daily! This is an adventure in life I never saw coming but I was obedient and took that leap of faith that this was the path He wanted me to walk down. God always has our best interest at heart and knows what we need in life! It's not about us, it's about Him. If God leads you to something you should trust Him. Fully surrender to Him, letting Him guide and lead you. I feel so incredibly blesed to have the husband and kids I now share life with. What if I had chosen not to obey God and trust Him that I could be a step mom? Tragic.

    ReplyDelete