Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Want to be the Person the Dog Thinks I Am

I saw that quote this week and it made me laugh. Any dog person would understand! I have a sweet dog named Chai, like the tea, who thinks I am wonder women! She thinks I give the best belly rubs, play the best games, and am the most beautiful (even without makeup on). My husband laughs because Chai looks at me with adoration. When I talk to her, I have her undivided attention! She literally gives me eye contact and perks her ears to let me know she is listening. When just she and I are home, I will perform concerts for her. I think she enjoys these the most! She gets so excited, wags her tail and gives me standing ovations.

This quote though made me think a little deeper. I think I have it backward. It should be, “I want to be the person God thinks I am.” So who does God think I am? Well, first and foremost I am God’s daughter. John 1:12 says, “But to all who believed Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become the children of God.” (Others: Romans 8:16, 1 John 3:1)

If that is not enough, God also refers to himself as Abba or Father. I am a child of the King! I am royalty … a Princess to be exact! When I think about this I always feel unworthy, but that is also backwards (why are we so hard on ourselves?). God, surprisingly, thinks very highly of me.

Psalm 139: 17-18a

How precious are your thoughts about me, Oh God! They are innumerable! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!

What an encouragement! My Father thinks I am pretty great! No matter my behavior, or attitude, I will always be His Daughter. He will always love me and I want to make Him proud! What a challenge and encouragement!

Michelle Heriford

3 comments:

  1. Thanks...I don't have a dog--yet...but I surely have a Father who loves me...I need to learn more about that love so I can become more secure in this oftentimes insecure world....

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    Thanks for the reminder of not only who we are in Christ, but how much He loves and adores us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been amazed at the ways God has taught me about Himself, and about the ways He wants me to approach Him - through my dog.
    Oh, to come to Him so unashamed, so willing to freely receive His love, so eager to express my love to Him!
    Yes, I think our little four-legged friends can be great teachers.

    ReplyDelete