Monday, April 5, 2010

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

I recently spent the day with my two nephews. Eighteen-month-old Kade and I were getting ready to go down the stairs to the basement play room. As we got to the first step, Kade reached up for me to take his hand. He didn’t even look at me, just reached up that little hand trusting I would take hold and steady him as we navigated the steps.

It struck me that this is how it is with God and me. I get to a difficult place in life and I naturally reach up. I don’t even have to look because I know He is there. I know He loves me and will protect me and I can trust Him completely to get me through the hard stuff.

The part of the story that challenged me was when we got to the bottom of the stairs. Kade let go the minute his feet hit a flat surface. He was off and running on his own, his favorite aunt forgotten. [He has two other aunts but I’m sure I’m his favorite :-) ] I thought that, unfortunately, his behavior again paralleled my relationship with God. Once I get through the challenging landscape of life, it is easy for me to let go and handle the easy parts on my own.

Proverbs 3:5-6 in The Message says, “Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the one who will keep you on track.” Wouldn’t it be nice if I listened for His voice in everything I did so that when I get to the top of the steps I’m already holding His hand? And what precious time we would have together if I didn’t let go during the smooth places in life!

Patty Dextrom

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly what I was thinking, Patty. How much better it would be if we never let go in the first place!
    I remember being on a mission trip, praying while we were on the bus - asking God to help us get off at the correct stop. We discussed later how good it would be if we were that dependent on God even when we're 'comfortable.'
    Love that He teaches us, even through children!

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete