Friday, October 29, 2010

Finding Comfort in Silence

I Chronicles 4:40

They found rich, good pasture, and the land was spacious, peaceful and quiet.

Do you long for time alone in silence with your Abba in a tranquil natural setting? Last month I had the pleasure of joining a small group of ladies at The Hermitage in Three Rivers Michigan. This was to be a silent retreat where talking and interaction with others was limited. The three-day trip consisted of time to pray, hike trails, journal and read. Initially I was resistant to the thought of being silent for two days, but gradually the quietness began to feel like a soft warm covering around me.

From what I see in scripture, God tells us to lead a quiet life filled with His Spirit to direct and guide us. When I choose to fill my days with so much noise and busyness, how can I expect His Spirit to work through this? The retreat at The Hermitage was just what I needed for extended quiet with Him, free from distractions. I felt like I was on a date with Jesus!

If you have never taken a personal retreat, prayerfully consider it!

Sheryl Patry

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl,
    I have always wanted to go on one of those silent retreats, but have not been able to do so. It sounded wonderful and yes, you are so right about all the noise that we surround ourselves with these days. I loved the "She Rest" one day session at Trinity...what a blessing that was to me. In His Service, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have taken personal retreats, and have been on a 'listening retreat'. But I have never been on an official silent retreat.
    Would love to do it sometime!
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete