Monday, July 5, 2010

It’s Rarely about the Coffee

Women are a curious bunch but God made us this way. When we call a friend to meet for coffee, it is rarely about the coffee. We mostly want the conversation and the friendship. We seem to have a need to talk to someone we trust and isn’t “over coffee,” the very best way to do that? In fact, I told my husband recently that I have a Coffee Ministry.

For the first 30 years of our marriage, Jim never drank coffee. It just didn’t seem right to me for us to be out on our weekly date night, talking after dinner, and him having a Coke while I was holding my hot coffee. He even offered to have his Coke served in a cup, but I said that that wouldn’t do. Out of love for me, he has developed a taste for coffee, as long as it has plenty of French Vanilla creamer in it.
But as much as I love having coffee and talking with Jim, I still have the need to get together with a friend now and then and have girl talk. When a friend calls you and ask to meet for coffee, don’t say, “I already had my coffee today.” Realize that it isn’t really about the coffee; she probably has a desire to talk and she chose you!

PS: Nicole Johnson’s book, Fresh Brewed Life is excellent. I have two extra copies from a Bible study that I did. If you would like one, let me know.

Patricia Harvey

1 comment:

  1. Patricia, I couldn't agree with you more. And, while I can.not.stand.the.taste.of.coffee, I will always accept an invitation to go out for coffee with someone. Because it truly isn't about the coffee.
    BTW, if we ever go out for 'coffee' I hope you'll be OK with me having hot chocolate, or maybe chai tea. I just don't think there's enough French Vanilla creamer in the WORLD to make coffee palatable to me. *grin*
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete