Monday, September 20, 2010

Second Class Pancakes

Usually toward the back of any parenting magazine is a section where people have written in with funny things their kids have done or said. My son, Zachary, at nine years old is somewhat of a comic genius. He says the most hilarious things. Recently, we were finishing up a rather hectic breakfast. I was trying to get Zach plus the two children I was babysitting that day fed and out the door to run a few errands. I was admittedly frazzled, rushed and probably short on patience. Our conversation went like this:

Zach: “Mom, you make the second best pancakes in the world.”

Me: “Only, second best. Who makes the best?”

Zach: “Well, Dad of course.”

Me: “Well, Zach let me let you in on a little secret. We use the same recipe.”

Zach: “Well, Dad still makes the best, but don’t worry Mom because yours are still better than McDonald’s. Theirs are awful!”

At that moment all my frazzled, impatient feelings flew out the window and I just laughed! Even though my pancakes came in second in Zach’s taste test, they ranked higher than McDonald’s, which is the epitome of high-class-food for a lot of kids. I love my son more than words can express. He makes me smile on a daily basis. His laughter and random remarks are often the highlight of my day.

Psalm 127:3 says: “Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.” 

I thank God every day for the reward of Zachary but mostly, I thank him for Zach’s sense of humor. It often makes a difficult day disappear in the blink of an eye.

Nichole Richardson

3 comments:

  1. Nichole,
    How cute is that! And, yes, a funny comment can turn a crazy day around. Keep smiling and keep Praising God for Zachary.
    In Christ, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should put together a book of Zach quotes:) I still laugh when I remember some of the things I have heard him say...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when something like that happens, and turns around my bad mood!
    ~Karen
    P.S. My son is the real pancake king. Maybe I should try your recipe. *wink*

    ReplyDelete