Monday, September 13, 2010

Humble Pie

I was served up a piece of humble pie the other day. I was picking out some shoes to wear to work. At first I put on the sensible ones, but then decided on the cuter heels, thinking it was going to be the last time I could wear them for a while since I am pregnant (did I tell everyone that I am pregnant?!). Something told me not to wear them, but I did anyway.

Around noon that day I was in a rush to get to an appointment and while walking twisted my foot and fell! No glamorous story — just walking along, not paying attention, my heel twisted a little and I bit the dust. Of course there were tons of people in the hall who all rushed to help this poor pregnant chick.

I got up and tried to laugh it off, but as I walked I knew I was not okay. I had hurt my foot. Needless to say, I had to go to the OB ward before I could get my foot looked at and landed one week’s worth of work restrictions. I was humiliated!

As I sat in the OB ward getting monitored (baby and I are just fine, by the way), I began to analyze the situation. I decided it all came down to vanity and pride. The Holy Spirit told me to wear the sensible shoes, but no, I had to look cute.

So my lesson for that day was: Pride comes before the fall (Proverbs 16:18) and Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet (James 4:10 The Message). A little cheeky but the lesson was obvious. I need to pay attention and keep in step (with flats) with what God is telling me to do. Anyone with me?

Michelle Heriford

1 comment:

  1. Love it! *grin*
    Yes, God uses everything, doesn't He? And sometimes it takes a little fall for us to hear what He wants to say to us. Glad you listened!

    And, congrats on the pregnancy!

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete