Friday, June 11, 2010

Running the Race

A few weeks ago I participated in the Heart of a Spartan 5k race. It was on a Sunday morning and to my very bitter disappointment, it was raining pretty hard. I decided that I wouldn’t run with a raincoat (or put a trash bag over my head as some were doing), but that I would just run with the running gear I used during training.

About a minute before the start I panicked and decided that I wanted a windbreaker to shield me from the rain. It worked well for about five minutes, until the rain penetrated the jacket. I took off the jacket and tied it around my waist, but it was still a heavy, wet nuisance. Eventually, I untied the jacket from my waist, wrung it out, and wadded it into one hand. That’s how I crossed the finish line — with a wadded up jacket in my hand.

This isn’t all that I remember from that race. It was a great course and the chance to run across the Spartan football field was an incredible experience. But I’ll admit, I was distracted and frustrated most of the race. The jacket bothered me more than the rain!

This reminds me so much of my spiritual life at times. I alternate from God’s original plan because I think I need something other than what He’s given. Then I end up struggling in my walk because I’m carrying this burden (that I chose to bring along) that distracts me and weighs me down. That’s not how God says we should run. His Word says, “Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews 12:1b

I encourage you to lose the baggage that’s dividing your attention from the race set out for you and to run like you mean it!

Andrea Perry

1 comment:

  1. Good for you girl, at least you finished the race! That is the important thing to remember in our spiritual race. "Keep our eyes on the goal" and even if we are distracted a little here and there, don't give up. I am proud of you for coming across the finish line...I would still be trying to get my jacket on. Patricia Harvey

    ReplyDelete