Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hakuna Matata

Is anyone else hearing Billy Crystal from the Lion King? I thought of that song this week because of a study my small group is doing. We are reading a book called Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. This book is based on the Bible story of Mary and her sister Martha (Luke 10:38-42). One of the chapters really spoke to all members of the group including myself, a chapter on worry. I thought it was comical what we worry about:

40% are things that will never happen

30% are about the past, which can’t be changed

12% are about criticism by others, mostly untrue

10% are about health, which gets worse with stress

8% are about real problems that can be solved


I never felt I was much of a worrier, more of just an overactive imagination. I love to do drama and would act out things in my mind. These “daydreams” can get very realistic and emotional. The book helped me to realize that this is not a case of the dreamers, but is true worry.

The book had such a great suggestion for how to combat worry. Philippians 4:6-7 says “Don’t be anxious about anything, but by everything in prayer, petition and thanksgiving present your requests to God.”

The author very practically said if you start to worry about your husband getting into a car accident, stop and turn it into a prayer, “God, please protect my husband today.” Or, if you, like me, begin to imagine some outlandish scenario, I literally say “Stop” and will turn it into a prayer, “Jesus, please protect my dog Chai from a pack of wild dingos attacking her in the back yard.”

I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks, but what a difference! Jesus, please help me to continue taking my worries to you, the only one who can actually take care of them!

Michelle Heriford

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    Such good advice...worry and stress seems to be the first topic of discussion. We need to focus on peace and comfort...and the One, Christ Jesus, that can give us that peace and comfort.
    I was sitting on my porch swing this morning having coffee, overlooking the beauty of God's world and I thought of my next article for Sheblogs: "Just in this very moment." Sounds deep huh? Thanks for sharing...Patricia Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Patricia. Focusing on Jesus rather than my 'stressful' circumstance makes all the difference.
    And, Michelle, I love the suggestion to turn the worry into a prayer. Yes, I'll be doing that now, too. Thanks!

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete